Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and senior BJP leader L K Advani were among the prominent people who visited Gandhi's memorial at Rajghat to offer floral tributes.
Other dignitaries who visited Rajghat included Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Defence Minister A K Antony and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
An all-religion prayer was conducted during the remembrance ceremony. The favourite hymns of Gandhi were also played at the function.
In Parliament House, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar led MPs in offering floral tributes at the portraits of Gandhi and former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri in the Central Hall.
Leader of Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde, Leader of the Opposition in the lower house Sushma Swaraj, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and BJP Parliamentary Party leader L K Advani were also present on the occasion.
In Haryana, rich tributes were paid to the Father of the Nation and former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri at a function held at Haryana Raj Bhawan.
Tributes to Mahatma Gandhi were also paid at functions organized in different states.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Now job reservations in private sector also ?
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special