IG (Law and Order) R K Vishwakarama told reporters here that the ‘mahapanchayat' was called to protest against alleged implication of “innocent” persons in Muzaffarnagar riots at Harauli village in Bhaurankalan area.
People were demanding that those guilty of inciting the riots and organisers of all religion ‘panchayat' at Sardhana, despite a ban, “should be nabbed and innocent should not be harassed”, the officer said.
Vishwakarma said that the administration knew about the gathering in advance and the officers requested people not to go ahead with the plan.
He said that on the assurance of the administration the people dropped the idea of holding ‘panchayat'.
The officer said that the DG and Principal Secretary (Home), while appealing the people to keep patience, have assured that no innocent person will either be named or send to jail.
The IG also said that some leaders have announced not to hold ‘panchayat' of 84 villages, which is proposed on October 10 at Kotwa village.
From Our Network
- Start negotiations to ‘leave’ as soon as possible, EU chiefs tell Britain
- Grounds need to be watered, match or no match: PM Modi on IPL row
- Work on border fencing on Indo-Bangla border to be completed
- Sourav Ganguly wasn't even present during my interview, says Ravi Shastri
- Militants ambush CRPF bus in Kashmir; eight soldiers martyred, 24 injured