Local authorities rushed fire brigades from Surat and nearby, while IOC sent fire tenders from its refinery at Koyali.
No casualties have been reported so far.
Officials said the blaze was reported at one of IOC's five petrol storage tanks at the Hazira depot that was filled to half-capacity with around 5,000 kilolitres of petrol when it caught fire.
From Our Network
- 'Airstrikes on Pak': Jammu Kashmir BJP asks centre to call off talks with Pakistan
- Liver transported through green corridor travels 210 km in 3.36 hours, saves life
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel
- NSG row: Indians are self-centered and low on morals, says Chinese state media
- ‘Just wanted to pass, Papa ne to top hi kara diya’, says arrested Bihar 'topper' Ruby Rai