According to the Washington Post, family of some of the 239 people on board the vanished Boeing 777 claimed that they were getting ring tones and could see them active online through a Chinese social networking service called QQ.
The Chinese relatives told Malaysian Airlines officials about the QQ accounts and about the ringing telephone calls, and said, modern technology could simply log on to the GPS signal of the phones and locate their relatives.
According to a China.org.cn report, 19 families signed a statement saying that dialing their loved ones' phones leads to a ring, rather than going straight to voicemail, as one would expect of a phone in airplane mode or otherwise unable to be reached.
From Our Network
- Google tax to start from June 1: Here's everything you need to know
- Bipasha Basu’s sisters cried because of Karan Singh Grover at their wedding. Know why!
- Is Kangana’s legal battle with Hrithik Roshan impacting her career?
- No early age to start: Seven year old Chennai girl publishes her first book
- Exclusive: Baal Veer to get a new friend!