He also criticised Tamil Nadu's ruling AIADMK for being silent on the issue.
In a letter to the party cadres, the text of which was released to the media, Karunanidhi said the rulers at the centre are making announcements that are unacceptable by the people.
Citing the decision to levy 12.36 percent service tax on rice while exempting wheat, he wondered why there is a differential treatment between north India, where the staple food is wheat and south India, where it is rice.
With this tax, the price of rice would go up further in the market, he said.
Karunanidhi said normally agricultural produce is exempt from service tax. But the union finance ministry has now said paddy is agri produce whereas if it is processed/dehusked, then the resultant product - rice - is not.
He said he wondered what action the Tamil Nadu government has taken to oppose the service tax.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special