The money has been generated through extortion, subscription and hawala. And among those whose names figure in the category of those extorted are Indian politicians and businessmen.
Whereas, world's deadliest terrorist organization Taliban raised $400 million last year through taxes, donations, and extorting money from enterprises and aid projects in Afghanistan.
According to a UN report released this week by UN sanctions experts to the Security Council, about $275 million of that money reached Taliban leadership and the rest was spent or misappropriated at the local level.
The estimates cover the financial year ended in March 2012.
The UN report says local taxes imposed by the Taliban include a 10 percent tax on harvest – the main source of income -- and a 2.5 percent tax on wealth.
Services such as water and electricity supplies are also taxed.
From Our Network
- Narendra Modi is a PM, not a ‘shahenshah’: Sonia Gandhi
- Laughing Buddha: Which one to use and where to place?
- Oh No! Katrina Kaif visits hospital late night on Sunday. Here’s why
- Govt appoints former Delhi top cop BS Bassi as UPSC member, AAP cries foul
- Yeh hai Mohabbatein: Raman-Ishita love making photos leaked (view pics