This small community is highly advanced in education, more than 70% of their members being literate. Their chief occupation is government service.
In India many well-known administrators and politicians have been Kashmiri Pundits. In the field of art, philosophy and literature, they have produced a galaxy of authors, savants and saints.
The Kashmiri Pundits are scattered throughout India, particularly in the northern regions and many occupy high governmental and private posts. But the majority lives in Kashmir.
The history of the Kashmiri Brahmins is ages old. The Kashmiris form a branch of the race which brought the language of the Indo-Aryan type into India as seen in their language and physical appearance but the period of their immigration and the time they came by remain unresolved till date.
From Our Network
- Madhya Pradesh govt transfers IAS officer who praised Jawaharlal Nehru on social media
- CBSE Class X results to be out tomorrow
- Pranab Mukherjee recalls Indian support to China's UN membership
- Chabahar port deal 'not finished'; Pakistan, China welcome to join it: Iran
- CBSE Class X results to be out today at 2 pm