This small community is highly advanced in education, more than 70% of their members being literate. Their chief occupation is government service.
In India many well-known administrators and politicians have been Kashmiri Pundits. In the field of art, philosophy and literature, they have produced a galaxy of authors, savants and saints.
The Kashmiri Pundits are scattered throughout India, particularly in the northern regions and many occupy high governmental and private posts. But the majority lives in Kashmir.
The history of the Kashmiri Brahmins is ages old. The Kashmiris form a branch of the race which brought the language of the Indo-Aryan type into India as seen in their language and physical appearance but the period of their immigration and the time they came by remain unresolved till date.
From Our Network
- Jasprit Bumrah vaults to career best No 2 spot in ICC T20I rankings
- Black money: Govt unearths Rs 13,000 crore hidden in foreign bank accounts
- Was advised to retire after Beijing Olympics: Sushil Kumar
- Kareena Kapoor Khan has some serious relationship advice for Alia Bhatt
- India joins MTCR, first entry into any multilateral export control regime