This small community is highly advanced in education, more than 70% of their members being literate. Their chief occupation is government service.
In India many well-known administrators and politicians have been Kashmiri Pundits. In the field of art, philosophy and literature, they have produced a galaxy of authors, savants and saints.
The Kashmiri Pundits are scattered throughout India, particularly in the northern regions and many occupy high governmental and private posts. But the majority lives in Kashmir.
The history of the Kashmiri Brahmins is ages old. The Kashmiris form a branch of the race which brought the language of the Indo-Aryan type into India as seen in their language and physical appearance but the period of their immigration and the time they came by remain unresolved till date.
From Our Network
- "Ek Nayi Subah": Criticism comes from people affected by curbing of corruption, says PM Modi
- Pakistan can target Delhi from Kahuta in five minutes, says father of Pakistan's nuclear programme
- As RCB gears up for high octane IPL final, Kohli says, it will be a close game
- Children climb 2,500 foot ladder to go to school, heartbreaking pics go viral
- Had 10 seconds to make the final call: Pilot of air ambulance which crash-landed in Delhi