Policeman Subhash Chand Tomar's death was also marred by an unprecedented public spat between Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Police over the rape victim's statement given to a magistrate.
Tomar, 47, viciously attacked by a mob near India Gate Sunday after the gang-rape protests turned violent, succumbed to his injuries in a hospital early Tuesday. He was cremated with full state honours.
Additional Commissioner of Police V.V. Chaudhary told IANS that Tomar was an “exceptionally sincere and hard working” policeman who had earned 77 commendations since joining Delhi Police in 1987.
The anguished family blamed protesters for Tomar's killing.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Here’s what Kamya Punjabi has to say about Karan Patel cheating on her with Pratyusha Banerjee
- Watch: When Katrina Kaif shut down a rude reporter with her calm reply
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam