In 2010, a 560 million euro ($749.2 million) contract was awarded to Augusta Westland, one of Finmeccanica's subsidiary to supply VVIP choppers.
The new choppers were being procured to replace the ageing Russian-made Mi-8 choppers. The first choppers were due to be delivered by December 2012 . India has already received three such choppers.
An Italian daily ‘La Repubblica‘, reported that the deal was not fair , the Indian government officials changed terms and conditions of the deal in favour of the Italian company in exchange of kickbacks. Slush funds were generated and the money was allegedly used by a top Finmeccanica official to bribe Italian political parties.
From Our Network
- Arijit Singh speaks up on his tiff with Salman Khan, reveals what exactly happened
- Telugu Cinema witnesses turmoil as fans of film stars abuse each other on Internet
- How a brave act by Vivek Oberoi ruined his career
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo, asks PM Modi to sack Raghuram Rajan immediately
- Salman’s ‘Sultan’ on same lines as SRK’s Chak De! India’. Here’s the proof!