Hafiz, prime accused in the blast which claimed 15 lives, was killed in a joint operation of Special Operation Group (SoG) of Police and Army in Kaderna forest belt, 238 kms from here, around 7.15 PM, Deputy Inspector General of Kishtwar-Doda-Ramban Range, Gareeb Dass told PTI.
After an hour-long cordoning of the area, a fierce battle took place between security forces and the militants in which Hafiz was killed, he said.
“The body has been recovered and police would continue its search operation in the area in the morning...It is a major success. He was lone surviving militant involved in the Delhi HC blast case,” DIG said.
Chota Hafiz, along with two other top Hizbul-Mujahideen terrorists Amir Ali Kamal and Junaid Akram Malik, was named as accused in the Delhi High Court blast case by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
15 people were killed and over 50 injured on September 7 2011 blast in the Delhi high court premises.
From Our Network
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam
- Abhishek Bachchan reacts to reports of wife Aishwarya’s pregnancy
- Choppergate fallout: Govt scraps Rs 1,200 crore deal to procure Torpedoes for submarines
- Rishi Kapoor gives epic reply to Congress supporters who named a Sulabh toilet after him
- What makes Chabahar port a ‘strategic asset’ for India against both China and Pakistan?