The Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Ordinance, cleared in over two-hour-long meeting of the Union Cabinet, proposes that common crimes like rape, assault and kidnapping should also be brought under the purview of this act.
Most of these crimes invite punishment of less than 10 years but with amendments crimes like these will invite punishment for more than 10 years.
The amendments to Section 3 also define new crimes and add some to the list.
Obstructing use of common property, allegations of witchcraft, preventing entry in place of worship, social economic boycott and promoting enmity are some of the changes which have been added to the list. These crimes will now be considered as cruelty against SC and STs.
There had been demands that penal provisions be given more teeth and the ambit of crimes against SCs and STs be broadened to prevent atrocities in any form.
The measure also establishes special courts for the trial of such offenses and the rehabilitation of victims.
The Bill, which the ordinance seeks to replace, adds a chapter on the rights of victims and witness.
It shall be the duty of the state to make arrangements for the protection of victims, their dependents and witnesses. The state government shall specify a scheme to ensure the implementation of rights of victims and witnesses, according to the Bill.
The Bill is pending in Parliament.
Sources said there was no surety as to when the recommendation of the Cabinet will be sent to President Pranab Mukherjee for his assent.
From Our Network
- 'I Don't Need Azhar To Gift Me A BMW'
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur in UP, 50 injured
- Upset over false promises, residents of Gaur City to protest against Gaursons tomorrow
- Rajya Sabha MPs seek stringent laws to check food adulteration
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Laughing Buddha: Which one to use and where to place?
- The Kapil Sharma Show Vs Colors: Humour wins over historical saga of Bajirao-Mastani; features among Top 5 shows
- Rakhi Special: 5 Bollywood songs depicting brother-sister bond
- Raees Vs Kabil: Rakesh Roshan REACTS to Hrithik-SRK’s box-office clash!