Thackeray's son Uddhav lit the pyre at 6.17 p.m.
Uddhav's cousin and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj stood by him in support as Thackeray's mortal remains were consigned to the flames.
Uddhav was an epitome of compassion and dignity as he lit the funeral pyre of his father. He had earlier broken down at the beginning of the funeral procession.
Amidst the chanting of holy mantras, while conducting the last rites, Uddhav led Raj by his hand, implying they be together during the sad moment, just as his father wished since the past few months.
However, only minutes before the funeral pyre was lit, Raj broke down, with tears streaming down his cheeks.
The public cremation of Thackeray is a first for Mumbai and he was cremated with full state honours, including a gun salute.
From Our Network
- Watch: Here’s the incident when Arijit Singh miffed Salman Khan
- ‘I am a UP waala’ and 10 other highlights of PM Modi’s speech
- Wait-listed in Rajdhani Express, get an Air India booking
- Arijit Singh speaks up on his tiff with Salman Khan, reveals what exactly happened
- Shot 8 times, Transgender in Pakistan dies as hospital sits on her treatment deciding sex