"This incident took place not because of the collapse of a temporary bridge made of bamboo but due to stampede," Nitish Kumar told reporters at a press conference at his official residence.
Nitish Kumar said that he had asked Home Secretary Amir Subhani to inquire into the incident. "An inquiry would be conducted to identify the cause of stampede that resulted in the incident," he said.
He said that the government would take action against those found guilty.
A police official said earlier that the "incident took place after a temporary bridge made of bamboo collapsed due to heavy rush of people..."
A district administration official said the the people were returning after offering prayers around sunset at Adalatganj ghat.
The government has announced a compensation of Rs.2 lakh to the next of kin of each of those killed, a district official said.
Over four lakh people from Patna and nearby areas gathered at different ghats for Chhath celebration, officials said.
From Our Network
- Pakistan has one month's time to grab US F16 deal
- Two top Hizbul militants killed in J&K encounter
- Kerala Principal furious after students prepare ‘grave’, sprinkle it with flowers as 'retirement gift'
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- 12-year-old Kota boy qualifies for International Biology Olympiad
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Aamir Khan’s young fan suffering from rare genetic disorder passes away at 15
- Is Anushka Sharma’s ‘Sultan’ teaser COPIED from this short film?
- See Pics: AbRam playing with father Shah Rukh amidst match is too cute to handle
- "Amitabh Bachchan apologised to me on behalf of Jaya Bachchan," says Amar Singh