ANDROID IOS
live tv
  1. You are here:
  2. Home
  3. India
  4. 'Our offer is limited to provide evidence to Pakistan', India clarifies on Uri attack

'Our offer is limited to provide evidence to Pakistan', India clarifies on Uri attack

Currently reading: 'Our offer is limited to provide evidence to Pakistan', India clarifies on Uri attack
India TV News Desk, New Delhi [Published on:22 Sep 2016, 23:28:55]

Virtually ruling out permission to Pakistani investigators to Uri like Pathankot, India is unlikely to offer Pakistan to verify involvement of its nationals in the recent terror attack saying that this time our offer is limited to provide finger prints and DNA evidence to Pakistan for verification.

 
Briefing reporters a day after Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar summoned Pakistan High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit and issued a demarche over the Uri attack, MEA Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said "irrefutable evidence" was shown to the envoy that points to the involvement of Pak-based groups and individuals or territory under Pakistan control.
 
Pakistan has rejected allegations of its involvement in the assault on an army camp in Uri town in Kashmir that killed at least 18 soldiers, saying it has "nothing to gain" from this attack.
 
Noting that the Foreign Secretary conveyed details of the various items that had been recovered from the terrorists, the MEA spokesperson said, “The Indian Foreign Secretary showed the Pakistan High Commissioner the GPS tracking devices, pictures of Pakistan made grenades and the finger prints of one of the terrorists.
 
"Foreign Secretary offered that in case the Government of Pakistan wishes to investigate these cross-border attacks, we are ready to provide finger prints and DNA samples of terrorists killed in the Uri and Poonch incidents.
 
"I would like to underline that our offer is limited to providing finger prints and DNA evidence to Pakistan so that Pakistan can verify it against their national database (NADRA) and confirm that the terrorists who attacked the Indian facilities were indeed Pakistani nationals," implying thereby, that no Pakistan team will be allowed in Uri unlike the Pathankot strike when a probe team from there had visited the attack site.
 
Foreign Secretary had also underlined that this terrorist attack was the most recent in a series launched from across the border that has steadily escalated in recent weeks.
 
Jaishankar also listed some of the incidents including a foiled infiltration bid in Nowgam sector on July 30 that resulted in the death of two terrorists and two Indian soldiers, one along LoC in Macchil sector on August 8 resulting in the death of three BSF personnel and one terrorist, and an encounter in Srinagar on August 15 in which a CRPF commandant was killed and 11 CRPF personnel were injured.
 
The nature and frequency of this infiltration across the LoC of heavily-armed terrorists charged with attacking Indian targets bely the claim of the Pakistani DGMO that the border has 'water-tight arrangements' from the Pakistani side, the Foreign Secretary conveyed to Basit.
 
"On the contrary, such bids cannot be continuously mounted without the active and collaborative support of Pakistani security forces," he told the Pakistan envoy.
 
Swarup said, "It is, of course, widely known that the training and arming of terrorists is freely taking place in Pakistan and Indian territory under its control.
 
"Acknowledged leaders of terrorist organisations have also been given free rein and parade around even in Islamabad. Such terrorism is not only directed against India but is now increasingly recognised as a larger regional concern."
 
The Foreign Secretary also reminded Basit of the capture of Pakistani terrorist Bahadur Ali "to whom we had even offered consular access to Pakistan".
 
(With inputs from PTI)

Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar - India Tv
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar Photo: PTI