Prime Minister Narendra Modi today addressed the nation on the occasion of 71st Independence Day from the ramparts of the historic Red Fort.
During his speech, PM Modi addressed various issues, from triple talaq to the Kashmir issue and terrorism. He also spoke on the recent Gorakhpur tragedy which saw the deaths of over 70 children.
Modi also thanked the nation for supporting the Centre’s reforms like demonetisation, gas subsidy and Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Here are the highlights of PM Modi’s Independence Day speech:
- People of India stand shoulder to shoulder with those affected due to natural disasters & the tragedy in Gorakhpur. Sympathies of 125 crore people are with victims of these tragedies, government will extend all possible help.
- We have to take the country ahead with the determination of creating a 'New India'
- We have to leave this 'Chalta Hai' attitude. We have to think of 'Badal Sakta Hai'- this attitude will help us as a nation.
- GST has shown the spirit of cooperative federalism. The nation has come together to support GST & the role of technology has also helped.
- Neither ‘goli’ nor ‘gaali’ will solve the Kashmir issue. It can only be resolved by embracing Kashmiris.
- There is no question of being soft of terrorism or terrorists.
- Be it issue of gas subsidy, Swach Bharat or demonetization, people of India have extended their full support.
- I want to mention those women who have to suffer due to 'Tripe Talaq'- I admire their courage. We are with them in their struggles.
- January 1, 2018, will not be an ordinary day. Those born in this century will start turning 18. They are Bhagya Vidhatas of our nation.
- GST has shown the spirit of cooperative federalism. The nation has come together to support GST & the role of technology has also helped... Good governance is about speed and simplification of processes.
- Violence in the name of 'Astha' is not something to be happy about, it will not be accepted in India.
- Up to 400 shell companies were found to be registered on one address, our fight against black money will continue.
- Demonetisation has helped check corruption. We have identified approximately 18 lakh people for their disproportionate income.