The Delhi High Court today handed over the case of missing Jawaharlal University (JNU) student Najeeb Ahmad, who has been missing since October last year, to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
A bench of Justices G S Sistani and Rekha Palli transferred the matter to CBI with immediate effect on a plea by the student's mother after the Delhi Police said it has no problem with such a direction.
The court said the probe by the CBI would be supervised by an officer not less than the rank of a DIG.
While transferring the matter, the court noted that the Delhi Police had implemented all directions and suggestions given by the court. The matter will be taken up next on July 17.
Najeeb went missing after a scuffle at his hostel allegedly with ABVP members on the night of October 14. A reward of Rs 10 lakh was announced by police for any information about him.
The probe into his disapperanece has turned up no clues so far with police continuing to grope in the dark.
The Delhi High Court, while recently hearing a plea by Najeeb's mother Fatima Nafees seeking whereabouts of her son, had rapped the Delhi Police over the manner of its probe.
The court said that the agency appeared to be looking for an "escape route" and was "beating around the bush".
In March this year, a Times of India report had said that said that the Delhi Police had received a report from Google and Youtube on Najeeb’s internet searches, which included things like ways to join IS. Also, most of the videos he watched on YouTube were related to the Islamic State, the report claimed.
Hours later, the Delhi Police had come forward to deny the media reports, categorically saying it had not received any such report from Google or anywhere lese. Delhi Police further refuted submitting any such report to the Delhi High Court.