Washington, Feb 29: The US has a challenging, but critical relationship with Pakistan, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today said, as she underlined the commitment of the Obama administration to work with Islamabad.
“We have a challenging but critical relationship with Pakistan, and we remain committed to working on issues of joint interest, including counterterrorism, economic stability, and regional cooperation,” Clinton told lawmakers at a Congressional hearing.
Over the next two days, Clinton would testify before several Congressional committees on the budget of the State Department.
On Afghanistan, the top American diplomat said over time, despite the past weeks' violence, “we expect to see similar government-wide savings in Afghanistan”.
She said this year's request “will support the ongoing transition, helping Afghans take responsibility for their own future and ensure their country is never again a safe haven for terrorists who can target us”.
In his remarks, Senator Patrick Leahy wondered why US-Pak relationship is in such a bad shape despite spending so much on it.
The US-Pak relations has plunged since the cross border NATO firing that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
“Despite many attempts and billions of dollars over the years, it is sobering how little progress we've made in building a positive, stable relationship with the people of Pakistan, not to mention its military and civilian leadership,” said Leahy, the Chairman of the State Foreign Operations and Related Programs Subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee.
From Our Network
- AgustaWestland scam: ‘AP’ note authentic, says Italy judge
- 5 reasons why women are not allowed at shamshan ghat
- Comply with govt rules on health warnings, Supreme Court tells tobacco industry
- Students in California, Yale narrate Kanhaiya's 'seditious' speech
- Two top Hizbul militants killed in J&K encounter
- Shah Rukh Khan clears the air about working with Ranveer Singh
- Odd-even not a long-term remedy, Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time
- ‘So close yet so far’: Peter Mukerjea's love letter to Indrani on her birthday
- Did Daddy David stop Varun Dhawan from living-in with girlfriend Natasha?
- Aditya Pancholi’s wife Zarina Wahab talks about breaking 29-years-of marriage because of Kangana