“Pakistan and India should take a lesson from the incident at Gyari camp. They will have to review the deployment of forces at Siachen,” Khar said while addressing a ceremony held after a polo match in Lahore.
An avalanche slammed into a Pakistan Army battalion headquarters at Gyari in the Siachen sector on April 7, burying 127 soldiers and 11 civilians.
Pakistani troops have been engaged in a frantic search for the buried men at the site of the disaster.
Pakistani media analysts and politicians have called for a review of the deployment of forces at Siachen, where soldiers from the two countries have been engaged in standoff since 1984.
The guns have largely been silent since late 2003, when the two sides put in place a ceasefire along the frontiers in Jammu and Kashmir, and more troops have died due to the adverse weather than combat.
Khar further said Pakistan wants peaceful relations with India and President Asif Ali Zardari's day-long visit to the neighbouring country on April 8 had helped in improving ties between the two countries.
She expressed concern at attacks by the Taliban in several cities of Afghanistan today, including the capital Kabul.
“Pakistan condemns the attacks in Afghanistan,” she said. Khar also welcomed the Bangladesh Cricket Board's announcement that its team would tour Pakistan later this month.
“The decision will go a long way to pave for other cricketing nations to come here,” she said.
The tour by Bangladesh will be the first by a foreign team since international cricket in Pakistan was suspended after a terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore in March 2009.
From Our Network
- Pakistan has one month's time to grab US F16 deal
- Two top Hizbul militants killed in J&K encounter
- Kerala Principal furious after students prepare ‘grave’, sprinkle it with flowers as 'retirement gift'
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- 12-year-old Kota boy qualifies for International Biology Olympiad
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Aamir Khan’s young fan suffering from rare genetic disorder passes away at 15
- Is Anushka Sharma’s ‘Sultan’ teaser COPIED from this short film?
- See Pics: AbRam playing with father Shah Rukh amidst match is too cute to handle
- "Amitabh Bachchan apologised to me on behalf of Jaya Bachchan," says Amar Singh