Islamabad, Mar 3: Former Interior Minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao and his son had a narrow escape today when a Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up near their motorcade in northwest Pakistan, killing one person and injuring seven others, officials said.
The attacker targeted Sherpao's motorcade as he was traveling to Peshawar after addressing a rally in Charsadda district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
The bomber detonated his explosive vest as the convoy was moving along a narrow street in a village.
Sherpao, Interior Minister during former military ruler Pervez Musharraf's regime, escaped unhurt while his son Sikander, the driver of their car and legislator Mohammad Ali sustained minor injuries, officials said.
District police chief Nisar Khan Marwat said a constable was killed and three policemen were among the injured.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack.
A spokesman for the Taliban in Mohmand tribal region called journalists in Peshawar and said his group had carried out the attack.
From Our Network
- US intervention on Arunachal issue ‘highly irresponsible’, will complicate matters: China
- 5 reasons why women are not allowed at shamshan ghat
- Comply with govt rules on health warnings, Supreme Court tells tobacco industry
- Students in California, Yale narrate Kanhaiya's 'seditious' speech
- Two top Hizbul militants killed in J&K encounter
- AgustaWestland scam: ‘AP’ note authentic, says Italy judge
- Released! Hrithik’s eyes speak a million words in Kaabil’s first look
- Leaked: Hot pics of reel 'Radhe Maa' aka Poonam Jhawer
- Kangana gives PERFECT reason for not working with Salman, Aamir and SRK
- 10 Times Rakhi Sawant Blew Our Mind With Her Epic Statements