“An explosive-laden car blew up near Bijbehara, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to 20 civilians,” SSP, Anantnag, R K Jalla said.
Jalla said the militant's target was not known as he was killed in the explosion.
Officials said the blast took place at around 3.15 PM in the crowded town, 45 kms from here, on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
The explosion caused panic among people who fled the area, thinking militants had carried out a suicide attack, they said.
The impact of the blast was so powerful that it left the car in a completely mangled state and police was trying to ascertain the registration details and make of the vehicle, they said.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the blast which apparently went off prematurely.
The identity of the deceased could not be ascertained as he was blown to pieces in the explosion, the officials said.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special