New Delhi, Nov 22: Prominent eunuch community ‘gurus', who adopt transgender children abandoned by their families, died in the fire that occurred at a meeting of the community in east Delhi recently.
14 eunuchs died and 36 were injured on Sunday night when a major fire swept through an east Delhi community hall where a congregation of the community was taking place.
“Most of those who died were prominent gurus. When parents shut their doors to a hijra child born in the family, it is these gurus who adopt them. They are like our parents. Many in my community have been orphaned,” Laxmi Narayan Tripathi, a transgender who recently participated in the fifth season of TV reality show ‘Big Boss', said.
She said she will soon be visiting the injured admitted in the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital here. The transgender-activist had said the purpose of her participation in the reality show was to highlight the cause of her community.
“We are being held responsible for the NOC thing (administrative clearance for holding the meet). Sadly, the government fails to realise that there is so much of stigma against us that majority are uneducated. So how can we be held responsible. I will soon visit my injured sisters who are in different hospitals in Delhi,” she said. While most of the injured are undergoing treatment at the Guru Tegh Bahadur hospital, four were shifted to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash hospital and two in Maulana Azad Medical College.
Dr Raj Pal, medical superintendent, Guru Tegh Bahadur hospital said, “Now 25 are admitted with us. All admitted are having 30 to 45 per cent burns. Only one person with 85 per cent burns is still critical. Many injured persons relatives shifted their near dear ones to another hospital.
“Since they are in a state of shock we are doing our level best for them. We are providing them food of their choice. They demanded Bisleri water and that was immediately provided,” he said.
Laxmi said, “Those who died were charred beyond recognition. Most were elderly and heavy built so could not run and escape the tragedy.”
From Our Network
- 'I Don't Need Azhar To Gift Me A BMW'
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur in UP, 50 injured
- Upset over false promises, residents of Gaur City to protest against Gaursons tomorrow
- Rajya Sabha MPs seek stringent laws to check food adulteration
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Laughing Buddha: Which one to use and where to place?
- The Kapil Sharma Show Vs Colors: Humour wins over historical saga of Bajirao-Mastani; features among Top 5 shows
- Rakhi Special: 5 Bollywood songs depicting brother-sister bond
- Raees Vs Kabil: Rakesh Roshan REACTS to Hrithik-SRK’s box-office clash!