On his way to address students at Yale University, Shah Rukh was detained by immigration officials for nearly two hours after arriving from India in a private plane at White Plains Airport and was given immigration clearance after intervention by Indian Consulate General (CGI).
Immediately after the intervention by CGI, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection authorities expressed “profound” apology in a letter to them.
However, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna has asked Ambassador Nirupama Rao to take up the matter with the highest U.S. authorities.
“Repeated problem for same person followed by clearance on account of consulate intervention and mechanical apology is not adequate,” MEA sources said.
According to the sources, the letter by the Immigration Department said that SRK's name was “flagged” in the system and airport people needed approval of “senior” authorities to clear him.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla too deplored the detention of Shah Rukh Khan saying what has happened is not appropriate.
Noting that this type of incident has not happened with Khan in the U.S. for the first time, Mr. Shukla said that the Homeland Security there needed to get their act together by having a proper databank.
“They should review their security provisions especially for those whose identity is well established”, Mr. Shukla said adding that such type of incidents have happened with several dignitaries, including a former President.
He said he was happy that the External Affairs Minister has taken up the issue seriously.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special