Mumbai, Mar 18: Speaking at a global symposium here, India's first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi said that had she made some compromises, she would have become the first woman police chief of the national capital.
Bedi participated in a panel discussion on 'conversations on social activism' during the day-long symposium titled 'Women changing India', organised by Barnard College, USA, on Friday.
She talked about how, if she had wanted, she could have become Delhi's first woman police commissioner. Some bureaucrats and politicians “conspired” to see that Delhi did not get a woman police chief, she said.
“I could have compromised to become the Delhi CP but I did not. Had I done so, my self-esteem would have gone down,” the cop-turned-activist said.
Other than Bedi, the session had Mirai Chatterjee, director of social security at Self Employed Women's Association; Shaheen Mistri, founder of Teach for India and Gita Sen, professor at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, as speakers.
“Women are critical stakeholders in India. They are leaders in their communities, in economic development, in activist movements, in corporate board rooms—their influence is really at the heart of everything happening here,” said Debora Spar, president of Barnard College.
The panel talk on ‘Voices of the region' highlighted major contributors to arts and media in India, and speakers included Nandita Das, Farah Khan, journalist Mallika Kapur and Brinda Somaya, architect and conservationist.
From Our Network
- Ecuador death toll rises to 654, over 100 rescued
- 2 killed in clashes at Aligarh Muslim University, proctor's office set on fire
- How Bajirao's Mastani united Hindus and Muslims after her death
- Japan's first domestically manufactured X-2 Stealth fighter takes maiden flight
- 5 social evils in India that still prevail
- Kapil Sharma vs Bajirao Mastani: Who won the battle of TRP’s last Saturday?
- Best Boyfriend Ever: Virat Kohli is making special plans to amaze Anushka on her birthday!
- Decoded: How Anant Ambani lost 108 kg in 18 months (Watch Video)
- US: Drunk Indian-origin lady doctor fired after video of her attacking Uber driver goes viral
- This never seen pic of Hrithik and Kangana is proof that Duggu had relations with Queen