Home Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference here today that the May 5 meeting that would be totally devoted to the issue of proposed NCTC.
He said, the conference of Chief Ministers on internal security would be held as per schedule on April 16, and the agenda has already been sent to all the Chief Ministers.
He said that three Chief Ministers had requested the Prime Minister for a separate meeting to discuss NCTC. ``Prime Minister asked me to write to all Chief Ministers that a meeting on NCTC will now be held separately on May 5,'' he said.
Among the chief ministers who have demanded a meeting on NCTC are Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Odisha Cm Naveen Patnak, Bihar CM Nitish Kumar, and Tripura CM Manik Sarkar.
The non-Congress CMs had written to the Prime Minister, criticising the Centre's move to set up NCTC on the ground that it would violate the principles of federalism and encroach upon their turf.
Though Mr. Chidambaram has written to the CMs, allaying their fears about the proposed counter-terror hub, the CMs have been unrelenting in their demand to have a special meeting on NCTC.
Home Secretary R. K. Singh has also held consultations with the State police chiefs and chief secretaries to explain the Centre's view point on NCTC.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special