Krishnagar(Nadia), West Bengal, Jul 3: A 12-year-old girl Mumpy Sarkar committed suicide on June 27 in order to donate her eye and kidney to her father and brother, but her suicide note came to the notice of the family after she was cremated, reports Times of India.
For days, Mumpy would listen quietly as the elders discussed how only an eye surgery could save her father's vision and a kidney transplant her brother's life. But both surgeries were beyond the family's meagre means.
So, Mumpy hit upon a plan, which to her 12-year-old mind seemed the answer to all troubles. She would kill herself, which would save the dowry, too, and her organs would give her loved ones back their lives.
Mumpy did stick to her plan. But the suicide note in which she had scribbled down her wishes was found the day after she was cremated.
The incident took place in Jhorpara near Dhantala on June 27. Her father's and brother's ailments had left Mumpy Sarkar,a class VI student, anxious.
One of the kidneys of her brother Monojit, a Class XI student, was damaged and the other was getting weak.
Father Mridul Sarkar, a daily wager, was gradually losing his eyesight. The family had approached the local MLA for help.We had decided to grant them some money for the boy's treatment. But the tragedy happened all of a sudden, said Dhantala panchayat pradhan Tapas Tarafdar.
Mumpy had taken elder sister Monica, a Class VIII student, into confidence and had urged her to commit suicide as well for the cause.When Mumpy told Monica about her plan on the morning of June 27, the latter laughed it off and left for school.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Now job reservations in private sector also ?
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special