New Delhi, Mar 8: Agitating MBBS students at AIIMS here on Wednesday suspended their indefinite relay hunger strike, called in the wake of the alleged suicide by a first-year student, after the premier medical hospital's authorities promised to look into some of their demands.
“We have decided to suspend our strike as of now. The decision has been taken after the hospital administration gave us a written assurance that they would immediately look into our memorandum of demands,” a representative of the agitating doctors said, after the decision was taken at around 12.30 AM.
Among the demands that have been promised to be looked into are—a visit to the bereaved family of the student who took the extreme step, a special course for medical students and an association comprising faculty and students' representatives.
The strike started as a mark of protest demanding removal of AIIMS' Director following the alleged suicide of Anil Meena (22), hailing from Rajasthan's Baran district, who was found hanging in his hostel room on Sunday morning.
Wearing black ribbons and raising slogans, MBBS students at AIIMS have been demanding resignation of its Director R C Deka.
AIIMS authorities have constituted a panel comprising senior faculty to verify whether Meena's results had been prepared as per prescribed rules.
This, sources said, is being done in view of discontent among under-graduate students with the mentoring mechanism in the institute and also the complaint that the recommendations of the Thorat Committee have not been fully implemented.
The AIIMS Director has also appointed former UGC Chairman Prof Sukhdev Thorat to examine the extent of implementation of the recommendations of the panel headed by him.
The committee probed allegations of caste discrimination on the campus and recommended welfare and academic enhancement of undergraduate students, particularly those from SC/ST/OBC categories.
Thorat committee said AIIMS, despite requests, “has not taken initiative to arrange remedial coaching in English, basic courses or any other spheres for SC/ST students as is required by central government educational institutions.”
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special