The 35-year-old pop superstar posted on her website Wednesday that she and 25-year-old boyfriend Gerard Pique "are very happy awaiting the arrival of our first baby." Pique, who is from Barcelona, is a soccer player for FC Barcelona.
No more details were available.
The Grammy-winning Colombian singer is postponing promotional activities and won't perform at Friday's iHeartRadio Music festival in Las Vegas.
Shakira said in a 2009 interview that she was ready to reproduce, explaining: "I really would like to have a big belly."
She dated Antonio de La Rua, the son of former Argentinian President Fernando de la Rua, for more than a decade. They split in 2011.
Shakira is due to be a judge on next season's "The Voice."
From Our Network
- ‘A Wednesday’ stars Naseeruddin Shah, Anupam Kher train guns on each other over Kashmiri Pandits
- Pranab Mukherjee recalls Indian support to China's UN membership
- “I take full responsibility of 'Brahmotsavam' failure,” says Mahesh Babu
- Puducherry violence: Things won’t be easy for new CM Narayansamy
- What? Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has replaced Arijit Singh for Salman Khan’s Sultan?