Los Angeles, Dec 14: “Five Easy Pieces” producer Bert Schneider, credited for inspiring a “New Hollywood” band of independent filmmakers, has died in Los Angeles at 78.
Daughter Audrey Simon tells the Los Angeles Times that Schneider died on Monday of natural causes.
Schneider produced 11 movies from 1969 to 1981, including “Easy Rider,” “Five Easy Pieces” and “The Last Picture Show.” Those movies about rootlessness and discontent became symbols of a new era that helped filmmakers break out of the studio system.
Schneider also produced the Oscar-winning 1974 anti-Vietnam War documentary “Hearts and Minds.”
Schneider created the Monkees pop band with producer-director Bob Rafelson.
From Our Network
- Start negotiations to ‘leave’ as soon as possible, EU chiefs tell Britain
- NSG standoff: Clouds of mistrust hovering over India-China relations
- Lalchand Rajput named Afghanistan head coach
- Mehbooba Mufti's victory endorsement of BJP-PDP alliance: BJP
- Defence Ministry nod to buy 145 artillery guns from US