Directed by Pixar's Andrew Stanton, the 3D effects-laden movie about a civil war veteran transplanted to Mars was already headed to the “Red Ink Planet,” according to Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz. Yet he expected a write-down of about half that size.
Disney said John Carter has brought in about $184 million in ticket sales worldwide so far. But ticket sales are split roughly in half with theatre owners. The movie's production budget is estimated to be about $250 million with about $100 million more spent on marketing.
The movie was based on a series of books written by the late Edgar Rice Burroughs, starting with A Princess of Mars in 1912 and ending with John Carter of Mars, published posthumously in 1964.
The poor reception was a shock given Stanton's directing success with movies like Finding Nemo and Wall-E, each of which won an Oscar for best animated feature.
From Our Network
- Two-third people happy with Modi government's performance in two years: Survey
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam
- Viral Video: Daughter assaults her 85 year old mother in Delhi
- Inviting Sharif and leaving Modi was unwarranted: Digvijay Singh
- 5 interesting facts about Dinesh Karthik & Dipika Pallikal's wedding