Mumbai, Mar 8: From being a demure dame in ‘Parineeta' to being a mother in ‘Paa' to a sly temptress in ‘Ishqiya' to southern siren in ‘The Dirty Picture' and now a pregnant woman in ‘Kahani', actress Vidya Balan has come a long way and she is happy that filmmakers are not typecasting her.
“Over the past two-three years, there have been writers and directors who have been saying that they are writing roles keeping me in mind. I think what has happened after ‘Dirty Picture' is that people think I am open to experimentation, I am game for all kinds of roles but luckily they are not looking to typecast me,” Vidya said in an interview.
She has given back-to-back hit films starting from R Balki's ‘Paa' (2009) alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Vishal Bharadwaj's ‘Ishqiya' (2010) opposite Nasseruddin Shah and Arshad Warsi, Raj Kumar Gupta's ‘No One Killed Jessica' (2011) alongside Rani Mukherjee, Milan Luthria's ‘The Dirty Picture' (2011).
“The proportion of success in that sense is humongous. Even after ‘Paa', ‘Ishqiya', ‘No One Killed Jessica', people said now what? Are you narrowing down your options? I don't think about these things. God has brought me till here and he will take me further,” Vidya said.
“I am here to act. I am not saying that I will do only such roles or solo heroine projects. I want to do different genres of film with different actors and directors,” she said.
In director Sujoy Ghosh's soon-to-be released film ‘Kahani', Vidya essays the role of a pregnant woman who comes to Kolkata in search of her husband.
Ask her what homework she did for the role, Vidya says, “In my college days when I used to travel by train with friends from Chembur to VT station (in Mumbai), I had seen many pregnant women. I used to imitate them.... I think it comes naturally to a woman to carry a baby bump.”
“It was not pillow but a prosthetic stomach that was used (for the scene). I could not sit easily as it would hurt me. There was pressure on lower back as well,” she said.
The thriller film will hit cinema houses tomorrow.
From Our Network
- 5 famous controversies of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt
- Not Ankita Lokhande’s ‘distrust’ but Sushant Singh Rajput’s ‘disloyalty’ led to their break-up?
- Kangana gives PERFECT reason for not working with Salman, Aamir and SRK
- See Pics: AbRam playing with father Shah Rukh amidst match is too cute to handle
- MTV Roadies fame Rannvijay Singh gets married (see pics)
- My name is Malaika Arora and I am not a ‘KHAN’: Arbaaz’s wife keen on dropping her surname
- Rakhi Special: 5 Bollywood songs depicting brother-sister bond
- 10 hottest pictures of Poonam Pandey on Twitter!
- Bollywood's most loved bridal avatars of 2014 (see pics)
- See Pics: Virat Kohli is feeling BLISSFUL after break up with Anushka Sharma. Here's the proof