All you need to know about Prasoon Joshi, new CBFC chief after Pahlaj Nihalani
On Saturday, the reports confirmed that Pahlaj Nihalani
is to step down as CBFC
Chief and is to be replaced by popular Bollywood lyricist and screenwriter Prasoon Joshi
. According to sources, Nihalani’s colleagues have accused him of using CBFC
as his personal fiefdom. The reports were doing rounds since last month about Pahlaj Nihalani’s stepping down as CBFC
chief. Earlier, Prakash Jha
, Madhur Bhandarkar
or TV producer Chandraprakash Dwivedi were said to be replacing him. It was only on Saturday evening that Prasoon Joshi’s name as the new CBFC chief has been confirmed.
Prasoon Joshi is a household name among Bollywood buffs for his popular works in Taare Zameen Par, Fanaa, Rang De Basanti, etc. But the talented poet, lyricist and screenwriter is much more than this. Let’s know some more about the new CBFC Chief, Prasoon Joshi.
Also Read: Pahlaj Nihalani sacked: Top 5 controversies triggered by former CBFC chief
- Joshi spent his early years in Northern India, in places like Almora, Nainital, Tehri, Chamoli, Gopeshwar and that’s what believed to have given the poet flair of writing. He has spent his childhood years in academic discipline while being surrounded by a rich air of artistic life. This helped him develop a strong sense of music and arts.
- At an age of 17, he published his first book called ‘Main Aur Woh, a conversation with himself’. It was inspired by Frederich Nietzsche’s Thus Spake Zarathustra. This along with his next two books, established him as an author.
- He started his career in advertising with Ogilvy & Mather in Delhi where he worked for 10 years. He left the organisation as executive creative director.
- Later he joined McCann-Erickson as executive vice-president and national creative director. Currently, he is serving as the CEO of McCann World group India and Chairman (Asia Pacific), a subsidiary of global marketing firm McCann Erickson.
- His popular advertorial works are Saffola (Abhi Toh Mai Jawaan Hoon), Alpenliebe, Chlormint and Coca-Cola. His ‘Thanda matlab Coca Cola’ campaign with Aamir Khan, won Cannes award.
- He is the man behind the lyrics of Coca-Cola’s popular advertisement ‘Ummeed wali dhoop’.
- He began his career in Bollywood with Rajkumar Santoshi’s Lajja as a film lyricist. After the commercial success of the film, he moved to Hum Tum which was followed by musical hits like Fanna, Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Black and Delhi 6.
- He debuted as a Dialogue Writer with Rang De Basanti.
Also Read: Pahlaj Nihalani sacked as censor board chief, Prasoon Joshi takes over
- Prasoon Joshi bagged the Filmfare Best Lyricist Award for ‘Chand Sifarish’ from Fanaa and ‘Maa’ from Taare Zameen Par. The lyricist-cum-poet won the prestigious National Award twice, for Taare Zameen Par and Chittagong.
- In 2008, he was invited as the Cannes Jury chairman in 2008, while in 2009, he was one among the exclusive 10-member Cannes Titanium and Integrated Jury at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival.
- He was chosen as a Young Global Leader 2006 by the Forum of Young Global Leaders, which is an affiliate of the World Economic Forum.
On August 11, 2017 he was announced to be the new CBFC chief, replacing Pahlaj Nihalani.