Japan's top automaker said no accidents have been reported related to these two problems announced Wednesday.
Some 1.51 million vehicles are being recalled for the steering defect in Japan and 1.25 million vehicles abroad, including 670,000 in the U.S.
Affected models include the Prius hybrid, Corolla, Wish and other models produced in Japan from 2000 to last year, and from 2000 to 2009 overseas.
Toyota is also recalling 630,000 vehicles spanning five hybrid models, including the Prius, for a defective water pump.
Last month, Toyota had a recall for faulty power-window switches.
From Our Network
- Madhya Pradesh govt transfers IAS officer who praised Jawaharlal Nehru on social media
- CBSE Class X results to be out tomorrow
- Pranab Mukherjee recalls Indian support to China's UN membership
- Chabahar port deal 'not finished'; Pakistan, China welcome to join it: Iran
- CBSE Class X results to be out today at 2 pm