The report further said high-speed trains would improve quality of life by easing congestion in the major cities while giving more isolated cities greater access to metropolitan hubs. The study also found that bullet trains have created a new category of suburbs in China: about 60 to 470 miles from megacities — which are impractical for frequent car travel. High-speed rail gives these distant cities big-city benefits without downsides like high housing costs, overcrowding, or air and water pollution, they discovered.
“The bullet trains could act as a safety valve by encouraging people to move to second-tier cities, improving the quality of life in both areas and creating more sustainable growth," the study said.
Here's a look at the five fastest trains we have now.
From Our Network
- 12 amazing facts about Apple's new 'spaceship' campus
- Watch Video: Lalu Yadav’s son Tej Pratap tries hands in acting, becomes CM
- See: Salman Khan shares adorable picture of ‘Nanha Ahil’ with ‘Salma Nani’
- She does it again! Deepika Padukone walks out of movie opposite Salman Khan
- 11 important facts you should know about Ravana