However, his real pay or gains comes in form of stock options. Zuckerberg reaped a gain of nearly $2.3 billion last year when he exercised 60 million stock options just before the online social networking leader's initial public offering
The $1 salary is symbolic and getting paid $1 has become something of a tradition among extremely wealthy executives whose compensation instead comes in the form of stock.
Steve Jobs famously took a $1 salary from the time he returned to Apple as CEO in 1998. In 2005, Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, along with then-CEO Eric Schmidt, all reduced their salaries to $1.
Other tech CEOs who had joined the $1 club include Oracle's Larry Ellison, Tesla's Elon Musk, Zynga's Mark Pincus, and H-P's Meg Whitman. Similarly, CEOs of American companies who made $1 in salary last year include Capital One's Richard Fairbank, Urban Outfitters's Richard Hayne, Fossil's Kosta Kartsotis, Kinder Morgan's Richard Kinder, and Duke Energy's James Rogers.
From Our Network
- Can Vivo v3 Max take on the Xiaomi Mi 5?
- Amid row over scam, govt defers approval to AgustaWestland’s FDI in Indian JV
- HDFC MF chief Milind Barve pockets Rs 26 cr in FY’16
- LeEco's Le 1s top-selling smartphone in online sales: Report
- For bad loan issue, Raghuram Rajan blames ‘overall economic downturn’
- PM Modi, Amit Shah ordered staged shootout in Ishrat Jahan case, says Congress
- Things on Sunny Leone’s bucket list- Swimming with sharks & going to ashrams
- Watch Video: Lalu Yadav’s son Tej Pratap tries hands in acting, becomes CM
- After Yogeshwar Dutt, now Milkha Singh upset over Salman's appointment as goodwill ambassador
- AAP founder member quits party, alleges Kejriwal indulges in community based politics