New Delhi: The richest people in the world got even richer in 2013, adding $524 billion to their collective net worth, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, a daily ranking of the world's 300 wealthiest individuals. The ranking says the aggregate net worth of the world's top billionaires stood at $3.7 trillion as on December 31.
Bill Gates, the founder and chairman of Microsoft, was the year's biggest gainer. The 58-year-old tycoon's fortune increased by $15.8 billion to $78.5 billion, the index revealed, as shares of Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, rose 40 per cent. Gates' fortunes also benefited from a rally in stock holdings that include the Canadian National Railway, which rose 34 per cent, and a maker of sanitizing products, Ecolab, which rose 45 per cent.
Second in the index is Carlos Slim Helu, the Mexican telecommunications mogul, whose net worth stood at $69.6 billion. But despite his high ranking, Helu was also one of the biggest losers, with his net worth dropping $1.4 billion in the course of last year after Mexico's government tried to reduce the dominance of his América Móvil mobile phone company.
Here are the top 10 people in the list:
From Our Network
- The current status and future prospects of affordable housing in India
- HDFC MF chief Milind Barve gets Rs 26.21 cr in salary, ESOPs
- For bad loan issue, Raghuram Rajan blames ‘overall economic downturn’
- Details of Vijay Mallya's foreign assets must be shared with banks, rules SC
- Facebook rolls out ‘Hindi Transliteration’ feature to let users type in Devanagari
- Now, Shekhar Suman says Adhyayan never said Kangana did black magic
- Amma's poll manifesto: From Free phones to free gold, it's raining sops in Tamil Nadu
- Good-bye speculations: Salman Khan is finally getting married by end of this year
- Alastair Cook on the verge of breaking Sachin Tendulkar’s 11-year old record!
- Guess who is Ranbir Kapoor’s best friend in B-town now? Kangana Ranaut