The student's iPhone suddenly made a "pop" noise and soon after other students reportedly noticed smoke coming from the girl's pants. The girl suffered burn marks on the thigh and back.
The girl's mother had given her daughter the green iPhone 5C two months ago.
She was later taken to Southern Maine Health Care Center where she was treated for "moderate" burns and released.
It is not known what caused the schoolgirl's phone to overheat.
From Our Network
- Heroine of three Khans: This is what Anushka Sharma has to say about them
- Subramanian Swamy recites Bhagavad Gita after PM Modi’s snub on Rajan
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel
- IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal bags G D Birla award for scientific research
- You are under watch! Facebook uses your phone's location to suggest new friends