The student's iPhone suddenly made a "pop" noise and soon after other students reportedly noticed smoke coming from the girl's pants. The girl suffered burn marks on the thigh and back.
The girl's mother had given her daughter the green iPhone 5C two months ago.
She was later taken to Southern Maine Health Care Center where she was treated for "moderate" burns and released.
It is not known what caused the schoolgirl's phone to overheat.
From Our Network
- 10 Highest Fuel Efficient Motorcycles in India
- Thank you for attending, but seating as per protocol: Jayalalithaa tells Stalin
- Earth's 10 Most Mysterious Lost Worlds and its rare species
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam
- IPL 2016: De Villiers singlehandedly takes RCB into final