Forex dealers said sustained selling of the American currency by exporters aided the rupee sentiment. At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the local unit moved between 50.50 and 50.77 before settling for the day at 50.72/73, a rise of 15 paise or 0.29 per cent, from the previous close of 50.87/88.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark index Sensex today improved by 119.27 points to 17,597.42.
Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) injected USD 253.68 million on March 30 and April 2, as per Sebi data. However, dollar index, consisting of six major rivals, was up by over 0.1 per cent.
The rupee premium for the forward dollar continued to rule mixed on alternate bouts of buying and selling.
The benchmark six-month forward dollar premium payable in September ended a bit lower at 167-169 paise from last Friday's level of 168-170 paise, while far-forward contracts maturing in March inched up further to 297-299 paise from 295-297 paise previously.
The RBI fixed the reference rate for the US dollar at 50.5645 and for euro at 67.4854. The rupee rallied further against the pound sterling to 81.13/15 from last weekend's close of 81.52/54 and also improved to 67.54/56 per euro from 67.90/92. It also rose against the Japanese yen to 61.76/78 per 100 yen from last close of Rs 62.06/08.
From Our Network
- HDFC MF chief Milind Barve gets Rs 26.21 cr in salary, ESOPs
- For bad loan issue, Raghuram Rajan blames ‘overall economic downturn’
- Details of Vijay Mallya's foreign assets must be shared with banks, rules SC
- Facebook rolls out ‘Hindi Transliteration’ feature to let users type in Devanagari
- Applying for job in SBI? Check you credit history
- Adorable! Ranveer Singh calls Deepika Padukone ‘meri wali’
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Rahul Gandhi as UP CM candidate: Prashant Kishor trying to kill two birds with one stone?
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Astrologer had predicted Kangana would have demonic influence in her life on Salman’s show