Chennai, Feb 16: Buoyed by the ‘strong' market demand for its latest hatchback Figo, Ford India planned to export the car to 18 more overseas markets by this year, a top company official said today.
“Currently, we are exporting (Figo) to 32 countries. We are hoping to increase that to 50 markets,” Ford India President and Managing Director Michael Boneham told reporters here after launching 45 new dealer outlets across 35 cities.
Ford India currently produces Figo, medium seda Fiesta Classic, premium sedan Fiesta and SUV Endeavour from its Chennai plant.
The company is setting up its second plant in India in Gujarat which would begin production in 2014.
After unveiling a new Ford India showroom here, Boneham said the company would increase the number of overseas markets for Figo to 50 by the year-end. Some of the new markets would be South America, North Africa and Carribean Islands.
Asked about the government's proposal to taxing diesel vehicles, Boneham said, “there has been a lot of discussion about taxation on diesel vehicles. I don't think thats the right approach”.
He said industry body SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers) clearly believes that was not the appropriate approach.
“Already the industry is struggling here and we would not want something that will allow automobile industry which provides employement opportunities to suffer”.
From Our Network
- Liquor baron Vijay Mallya struck Rs 67 cr deal to save New York condo last month: Reports
- Only 3% of Indian populace pays Income Tax
- Open sale! Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 available without registration on April 27
- FDI in India: Top 10 investing countries
- Apple cuts iPhone 5s price by half, to be available at Rs. 12,000: Reports
- Kapil Sharma vs Bajirao Mastani: Who won the battle of TRP’s last Saturday?
- Best Boyfriend Ever: Virat Kohli is making special plans to amaze Anushka on her birthday!
- Decoded: How Anant Ambani lost 108 kg in 18 months (Watch Video)
- US: Drunk Indian-origin lady doctor fired after video of her attacking Uber driver goes viral
- This never seen pic of Hrithik and Kangana is proof that Duggu had relations with Queen